This spring, seven PSIA students from across the Gainesville and Dahlonega campuses were inducted into Tri-Alpha: Marsha Ann, Fatima Santillan, Kayla Grace Smith, Destani Fountain, Karen Villalobos, Neva Garrett, and Kristina Latham. Congratulations to all of the recent inductees!  

Alpha Alpha Alpha or Tri-Alpha, was founded on March 24, 2018 at Moravian College in Bethlehem, PA. Its purpose is to recognize the academic achievements of First-Generation College Students, foster an environment of enthusiasm for scholarship, promote leadership and provide a network of support for students within the chapter and the university. The University of North Georgia Chapter, Alpha Omicron, was approved in February 2020 and chartered in March 2020 as the first chapter in Georgia. 

We recently caught up with Neva Garrett, who explained how significant this organization is to her, noting that both her parents struggled to complete their schooling and her own unique pathway to higher education.

“This is the fourth time I have tried to attend college. The first three times my plans were derailed by finances, marriage, and childbirth. Now, at age 60, I am in my Senior year of college (I say that I am both a Senior and a Senior!) and making good grades despite struggling with the technology aspect (D2L) I know my parents would be SO proud…and especially that I have been inducted into Tri Alpha.” 

We recognize and celebrate the achievements of these students in their pursuance of higher education and their success over challenging circumstances as First-Generation College Students. We are honored to teach these students and cannot wait to see what they achieve! 

[Author: Gabriella Bartlett, IA ‘23]