In this article, Lindsey Collier discusses how UNG has presented her with opportunities as both an undergraduate and graduate student in the PSIA program.

Lindsey is a 2017 IA graduate and a 2020 MAIA graduate.

Dr. Chris Kroh interviewed Lindsey

Please describe the effort that you put in to applying for a Fulbright Scholarship resulting in being named a 2019 semi-finalist.  What did you learn from that experience? How did PSIA instructors and classes help you in this effort?

Lindsey: “Working on my Fulbright application felt like a full-time job. I wrote so many drafts that I had memorized both of my essays by heart, and that was only when I was halfway done. I worked very hard on my application, and as a result I made it as a semi-Finalist. I was very proud of myself for making it as far as I did. Dr. Lin was a massive help in the formulation of my application and I couldn’t have done any of it without her help. I was in her office staring at the computer screen for hours multiple times a week pouring over every word of my essay. I’m planning on trying again next year, hopefully I’ll make it as a finalist.”

Could you tell me about your experience as a student at St. Petersburg University in Russia and the effort that went into preparing for that? How did it shape your studies and you personally afterwards? What were your best memories of it?

Lindsey: “I studied as an exchange student in St. Petersburg through the European Council in 2016 and 2017. I initially went to Russia for one semester, but I loved it so much that I extended my exchange to a full year. Linguistically it was very difficult for me at first. I had to learn Russian in a crash course style, for I had only studied Russian for two semesters prior to this trip. But the pressure really helped me, and now I’m living in Russia and speaking fluently. This experience altered my life in that I live here now permanently, I’ve got a job and I’m completing my master’s degree online through the MAIA program here at UNG. My best memories of this trip were the most terrifying to me in their creation – the first moments I was all on my own in a foreign country was like diving into freezing cold water. I was so shocked, inspired, motivated, and terrified all at once. The moments I first saw the landmarks I’d always dreamed of brought me to tears. That kind of inspiration and awe doesn’t come by often, and therefore those first moments are my most treasured memories of that trip.”

Why did you choose International Affairs as a major and do you think that it prepared you for achieving your goals?

Lindsey:  “I chose International Affairs as my major during my freshman year Global Issues class with Dr. Greathouse. This is a comprehensive course that functions as an introduction into international relations and global problems, and I was fascinated. I’ve loved every moment of my undergraduate and graduate courses, despite all of the late nights writing papers and preparing for essay exams! I feel that knowing about the world around you is what it’s all about. At the moment, I’d like to continue my education past a Master’s degree and go for the gold, and hopefully get to teach in a university setting eventually and inspire students to learn more about the world around them as Dr. Greathouse inspired me.”

If you had to provide a blurb about your courses, the faculty in the PSIA department, and your experience as a major, what would you say?

Lindsey: “The faculty in this department are phenomenal. They are so helpful and intelligent – I can’t tell you how many hours I’ve spent in their hallways asking endless questions, bringing drafts of my essays for review, and discussing my future options and ambitions after graduation. The courses are difficult, but they are fascinating. You will learn how to read a lot more than you thought possible – but it will be worth it. The amount of information you’ll learn to ingest will help you in the long run, and hopefully you’ll feel the fire that I do to learn more and more.”

What advice would you give current political science majors?

Lindsey: “Hang in there! Put the effort in, even if it means missing sleep and staying overnight in the library. It is worth it in the long run. Take the long way around, no short cuts, and accumulate the knowledge that our professors invest into us. It is important, and the world needs people like you who care about the issues we all face. So put in the hard work and make a difference, because someone has to!”