Col. Bryan Kirk, UNG professor of military science, congratulates Hyunbean Park, IA ‘24. 

[Note: This article is a modified version of an article from the UNG Newsroom that originally appeared on September 27, 2023.  https://ung.edu/news/articles/2023/09/22-are-distinguished-military-students.php   

Congratulations to PSIA cadets Robbie Griffin, SSST/IA; Jacob Lyons, SSST/Mil Sci; Yakir Mufson, SSST/H; Hyunbean Park, IA/Eur and Jack Rainbow, SSST/Int for being this year’s Distinguished Military Student (DMS) honorees! They are among the 22 members of the Boar’s Head Brigade that have earned DMS status for the 2023-24 academic year. The cadets were formally recognized at the DMS dinner and review the weekend of Sept. 22-24. 

“It is my honor to recognize the 22 ROTC Distinguished Military Student awardees for the academic year 2024. With grit and focus, these cadets have consistently exceeded the standard, while being immersed in a cohort of superb cadets in the Boar’s Head Brigade,” Col. Bryan Kirk, UNG’s professor of military science, said. “Their focus endured through COVID, the challenges of remote learning and culminated with their performance during Cadet Summer Training at Fort Knox this summer.” 

A DMS is required to possess outstanding qualities of leadership, have exhibited an aptitude for military service, attained a military science standing in the upper third of the ROTC class and the professor of military science order-of-merit list, and have completed Cadet Summer Training. Cadets must also attain an overall standing in the upper half of their university or college class. 

Hyunbean, who is finishing up his degree in international affairs and minoring in Russian, plans to commission upon graduating in May 2024. His favorite part about his time in the corps is the purpose it gives him being a first-generation immigrant. He is grateful for the title of DMS, crediting the achievement to mentors retired Lt.Col. Wesley Pirkle, director of global military programs, and retired Sgt. Maj. Terry Baumann, assistant director of global military programs. 

“I feel immense gratitude to be selected as a DMS. My cadet experience at UNG has been both rewarding and challenging, requiring me to overcome numerous adversities. I want to make sure these great mentors of mine get recognized because I know I wouldn’t be here if I hadn’t learned from their mentorship,” the Suwanee, Georgia, resident said. 

Congratulations on this well-earned recognition to these members of the #PSIAfamily 

[Author: Morgan Adams, PS ‘24]