What’s New

Kaltura

Say Goodbye to the Turning Gears

If you have ever uploaded a recording to Kaltura (the My Media repository in D2L), you are very familiar with its turning gears or conveyer belt animation. It shows that Kaltura is processing the media while you wait, and wait, and wait.

The animation has been replaced with – nothing. Media uploaded using Kaltura Capture will not appear in My Media until it is processed. At least mostly processed. It will continue processing for a while.

If you miss those turning gears, click the media’s link in the Capture Library (a link will appear in the Capture upload section under the media being uploaded) and watch them spin until every last bit (or byte) is processed.

Turning gears and conveyer belt seen on My Media in D2L.
It’s harder to find Kaltura’s turning gears animation.

Or upload media using the “Add New” button in My Media. The thumbnail will appear as a blank rectangle in My Media at first. A thumbnail image will replace the blank space. Click the media’s name and watch those gears spin and spin.

Create a Watch Later List

The My Media repository has a Watch Later feature that lets you add your My Media recordings to a list for later viewing.

Maybe you’ve uploaded ten new class lectures but want to watch them for errors before embedding them into a course module. Now you can add them to a Watch Later list and view them at your convenience.

Add or Remove Media from Watch Later

In eLearning@UNG (D2L), click the My Media link from the homepage. Locate the media to be added to the Watch List. Click the media’s thumbnail image or click the media’s name.

Click the ACTIONS button below the video player. Click the Add to Watch Later link. The media can be removed the same way. In the same ACTIONS menu, click Remove from Watch Later. The Add to Watch Later link becomes the Remove from Watch Later after media has been added.

To remove media from the Watch Later list, under the ACTIONS menu, click the Remove from Watch Later link.
Watch later button in D2L's My Media Section.
Watch Later button in D2L.

To access the Watch Later list, click the Watch Later button on the homepage of the My Media repository (top right corner, above the Add New button).

The recordings in your Watch Later list (let’s just call it a playlist) can be viewed here. Watch them in order or select the media to watch. Watch one or watch them all!

Click the Watch Later button to view the media added to the Watch Later list.
In this example two videos from D2L’s My Media have been added to the Watch Later section.

Microsoft Skype for Business

Say Goodbye to Skype For Business

At the end of June, Skype for business will be gone but not forgotten. Wait, what’s Skype for Business?

Skype for Business was the video conferencing software everyone used before there was Teams and Zoom.