Winners were presented with a Nigel the Nighthawk statue in recognition of this prestigious honor.
Sara Gonzalez is the 4th from the left.

[Portions of this article come from the Division of Student Affairs 2023 Spring Newsletter] 

Sophomore international affairs major Sara Gonzalez is one of the nine students recognized as part of the inaugural Nighthawk Nine class of 2023.  

The Nighthawk Nine, hosted by UNG’s Student Government Association, recognizes student leaders, across all campuses and classifications who demonstrate Nighthawk Spirit through their service, leadership, and scholarship pursuits. 

When asked about what this award means to her, Sara said “This achievement represents my hard work towards trying to embody what a Nighthawk is. Through academic achievement and involvement in school clubs and organizations, I have been able to connect with faculty, staff, and peers to grow not only as a student, but also as a person. It makes me really glad the Nighthawk family sees this growth.” 

Sara’s academic advisor, Dr. Christian Harris, commented on Sara’s outstanding academic efforts: “she is very enthusiastic about pursuing her BA in International Affairs at UNG. She is a dedicated and serious student.” 

Sara, while only a sophomore, has greatly enjoyed her time within the department so far and said “I have taken a few classes within the department, but I’m so excited about what’s to come! The PSIA department has been very helpful so far. The faculty always makes classes interesting, and they constantly remind me why I chose this major. They are very passionate about what they teach, so that inspires me to learn even more.” 

We are very proud of Sara and look forward to seeing all the great things she does as she continues her time here with us! 

[Author: Orla Fennell IA’23]