Advice for Online Students, From Online Students

Senior Lecturer of Political Science Maria Albo asked her online American Government students what they would tell a friend who was taking online classes for the first time.

• I would tell a friend to make sure they make a calendar and keep up with their due dates. In online classes, it is very easy to overlook or forget assignments and this can seriously hurt your grade. I would also tell them to make sure they ask questions immediately if they are confused or behind. It never hurts to ask your advisor or professor for help.
  • I would tell them to keep a planner and go through the syllabus and write down all the due dates up to 2 months in advance. Be sure to go over the syllabus completely and make sure you know if the discussions require a bibliography or if the quizzes are usually open note. Take the time to get to know the professor’s preferences and make sure to be aware of the things that are not necessarily restated every time an activity is due. I would tell them to check the course every day and make sure they are aware of the extent of each activity due. Be sure to put aside the appropriate amount of time for tests, quizzes, papers, and everything else of the sorts. Online classes are all about your own time management and your will to stay focused and comprehend the information given on your own time. I would tell them that if they were not very self-motivated or had a low drive to complete work, then an online class might not be the best option.

For more advice from students, read the Political Science & International News blog post.