(L-R) Avery Johnson, Dr. Viman-Miller (faculty sponsor), Orla Fennell 

The Georgia Political Science Association (GPSA) is the professional association for political science practitioners and educators in Georgia. The Association holds an annual conference for faculty, independent scholars, practitioners, graduate students, and undergraduate students (with faculty sponsor) from around the state and country. The 53rd iteration of the conference was held during the fall of 2022 in the historic town of Savannah, GA. This year’s conference theme was “The Scope of Conflict”.  

Two of our PSIA students, Avery Johnson, a senior international affairs major with a European concentration, and Orla Fennell, a junior international affairs major with a European concentration, attended the fall 2022 GPSA conference. Avery presented research on the treatment and acceptance of refugees in Europe, and Orla presented research on a similar topic, the comparison of attitudes toward Syrian refugees in Western and Eastern Europe. Avery said that his “experience at the GPSA conference was great. I enjoyed the opportunity to learn from and present my research to faculty, independent scholars, and other students in the political science field.”

As an attendee of this conference, I can attest to the great learning and networking experience that this conference provides. Not only was I able to talk with other passionate political science & international affairs students and faculty, but I was also able to learn about multiple topics within the discipline. The speaking and research skills that I have learned throughout my courses within the department helped me tremendously while at the conference.  

Avery also appreciated the support of the PSIA department and said, “I attribute much of my success at the conference to the help and support of our wonderful department here at UNG… [I] would recommend others take the opportunity to apply [and] to present their political science research at GPSA.”  I second what Avery said, and highly recommend others to take the opportunity to present their research at GPSA.   

[author: Orla Fennell, IA ’23]