We are pleased to announce that our own Dr. Stephen Northam was recognized by the University of North Georgia with the 2022 Teaching Excellence Award for Non-Tenure-Track Faculty. This award recognizes non-tenure-track faculty who consistently demonstrate outstanding teaching. 

Dr. Northam, who serves as a Senior Lecturer, received his M.A. in Government from Claremont Graduate University in 1975, his M.S. in Psychology from the University of Phoenix in 2010, and his doctorate in Public Administration from Valdosta State University in 2013.  In addition to his academic credentials, Dr. Northam brings 24 years of experience with Hewlett-Packard to the classroom where he teaches in both the Bachelor of Science in Political Science program and the Master of Public Administration program. 

Dr. Northam got into teaching because his mother thought it would be a good fit for him. He states, “It was a couple of years after I graduated from high school and had flirted with college, still searching for a direction, that she made this observation.”  Dr. Northam quite candidly admits that school up to that point “was never a pleasant experience.”  It was later on when he went back to university and took a political science course “from a very dynamic professor” that his mother’s recommendation took hold.  The year was 1969, and politics was “in the air.”  This admission gives hope to students who had an initial aversion to school and also demonstrates the impact a great instructor can have. 

Dr. Northam explains why he enjoys teaching. “I like to learn and share what I have learned, which may be a bit old fashioned.  So, I see the students in my classes coming along for the ‘learning’ ride. My hope is that I can convey in class an interest in the subject as well as the desire to learn more.” 

PSIA Department Head Dr. Dlynn Armstrong Williams is not surprised with Stephen’s award — “[He] is a great asset to the program. He is a conscientious teacher who has made many adjustments to his online classes throughout the years to keep them relevant and engaging. I am so glad that his efforts in the virtual classroom are being recognized!”