There were 15 students selected nationwide for the Washington Program on National Security, four of them are UNG students, and three of those four are PSIA students.

• PSIA students: Ella Reid, Thomas Vella and Taylor Mullikin
  • UNG Alumnus: Jacob Malimban

The Alexander Hamilton Institute for the Study of Western Civilization organizes the program, which will be June 16-30 in the nation’s capital. The two-week program covers all costs except the students’ travel to and from Washington, D.C.

Junior Taylor Mullikin, of Peachtree Corners, GA, is pursuing a degree in Political Science with a Pre-law Concentration. She is the President of Nighthawk Political and the UNG Speech and Debate Club, and also serves as the secretary of UNG’s Model UN.

“I was interested in the program because of my history of traveling for debate, which inspired me to understand how other nations interact,” Taylor said. “I also am interested in national security based on increasing global connectivity and issues of shrinking resources facing countries moving forward.”

Thomas Vella is a senior from Atlanta, GA and is pursuing a degree in Strategic and Security Studies with an International Affairs concentration. Thomas is set to graduate in August.

“I want to network and meet people who are in positions I want to be in one day,” Taylor said. “This is a great steppingstone.”

Ella Reid, a sophomore from Cumming, GA, is pursuing a degree in strategic and security studies with a concentration in intelligence and a minor in Chinese. Ella thought that this degree aligned with her membership of Chinese Language Flagship program. She is also in UNG’s Honors Program, and is eager to add to her acumen through the Washington program and is grateful for the support of UNG faculty.

“I had no idea about this program until one of my professors sent me an email,” Reid said. “The professors here are incredible at finding opportunities and pushing their students to excel.”

With these four students, there have now been a total of seven UNG students to be selected for the Washington Program on National Security.

Source: https://ung.edu/news/articles/2021/06/four-selected-for-washington-program-on-national-security.php