Parish

Dr. Randy Parish, professor of political science, received the 2015 Certificate of Merit for Teaching Excellence, “given as recognition of teaching innovation” for his presentation on Friday, November 13, at the “Teaching and Learning Panel” during the annual meeting of the Georgia Political Science Association. In his presentation “Online Simulations Make International Relations Courses Come Alive,” Dr. Parish, who teaches on UNG’s Oconee campus, shared his approach to encouraging students to make connections between theory, readings, and real-life experiences.

Parish’s conference proposal stated, “For international relations classes, from introductory to upper-division courses, one of the best formats is ICONS (International Communication and Negotiations Simulation), an online role-playing simulation offered by the University of Maryland. Student teams play a variety of international actors, including states, intergovernmental organizations, and nongovernmental organizations, negotiating online to further each actor’s interests in some critical situation. Prior to the talks, they conduct research, largely online through sources suggested by ICONS, to determine their teams’ interests and goals, along with the other teams’ relative strengths and likely positions. This paper discusses how I have adopted ICONS simulations for IR classes over the last dozen years, including a mixture of online and face-to-face activities, written reflections, and in-class discussions. Students love the experience and subsequently exhibit a much deeper understanding of international relations.”

Newsletter editor Maria J. Albo interviewed Dr. Parish.

How long have you been teaching international relations? What do you like best about this subject?

I first taught IR as a grad student, and have taught it virtually every semester since 2002. And what is not to like? IR is fascinating. There is so much at stake and so much variety of issues, actors, and explanations for why things happen the way they do.

What inspired you to deliver this presentation?

I love the teaching and learning sessions at GPSA, and I have adapted a number of techniques that I have learned there to my own teaching. Presenting the ICONS simulation with a couple of variations that I have adapted over the years seemed a good way to share and give back. Also, doing the presentation and writing a paper on it helped refine my thinking and the way I teach.

Your proposal mentioned that you “have adopted ICONS simulations for IR classes over the last dozen years, including a mixture of online and face-to-face activities, written reflections, and in-class discussions.” Which simulation has been your favorite and why?

I have done ICONS simulations ranging from Model UN to Model OAS, Somalia pirates, and India-Pakistan rivalry. My favorite is the Nigerian Oil Crisis, a simulation dealing with problems caused by oil production in the Niger River Delta. It is a little dated, but the simulation covers almost every kind of issue‑‑security, economics, development, human rights, environment‑‑and almost every kind of actor‑‑domestic and global, state, IGOs, and NGOs. It makes a great capstone to POLS 2401 (“Global Issues”).

What kind of feedback have you received from students? What do you think they enjoy the most about these activities?

Student feedback is almost universally very positive. It is just fun for them to do something in class and to play a game, and this one (ICONS) is set up very well. I put a little kink in the game that seems to help. We spend two days negotiating online, but in the middle we have one day with face-to-face talks, set up like a real international negotiation session. That is always their favorite. In the student reviews of the course, which are supported by my assessments, most say that the game brings it all together. They understand better how and why global actors behave as they do, and the outcomes of global events make more sense.