Courtney Graff, a senior majoring in international affairs at the University of North Georgia, completed a Study Abroad trip to China. Courtney’s concentration is East Asia and her minor is Mandarin Chinese.

Sara Stubbs interviewed Courtney Graff

Why did you pursue a Study Abroad experience?

Courtney: I had numerous reasons to pursue a Study Abroad experience. First, it is required for IA majors ; second, I had a lot friends who had completed a Study Abroad experience and I saw how it matured them. When one Studies Abroad, when one lives in another country, it shows her another perspective. It shows her not only the strengths and flaws of another country but makes her reevaluate the state of ones own country.   By Studying Abroad, one can better understand the United States. Things one may have accepted as normal are not necessarily normal, not everyone does this, and often it is actually a behavior that has been constructed by the society in which one lives.

A Study Abroad experience is very culturally awakening. One may have studied this place for ages; for instance I started off my college career as a Chinese Mandarin major instead of a minor. I made the switch because of the fact that I love language but I need something to use it for. I really enjoyed having Chinese as a tool and was able to use language to spread ideas and to interact with the Chinese.

I like to view language as a tool and I like to have classes where one learns about how to apply these tools. This is one of the reasons why I love international affairs. Because they teach  students about the global problems we face and the issues with nation-state by explaining how other nation-states relate and interact with each other.

Describe the process of getting your Study Abroad set up. Whom did you talk to for help? What resources did you use?

Courtney: I was already familiar with a lot of the Study Abroad programs here at UNG because of the information my friends had shared with me. I was a big fan of the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP), due to the fact that not only is it a language program but it also will offer content courses while abroad. As an international-affairs student, I considered the idea of being able to take a politics class in China and listen to a Chinese professor’s opinion to be fantastic.

Tell me more about ISEP.

Courtney: ISEP is available for not only U. S. students but also students in most other countries.

UNG has a lot of Study Aboard programs in China but I wanted to have a program that would force me to be independent. Because I thought that that was the best way to work on my language skills . Experiencing daily life for an extended period of time would force me to develop stronger language skills.

Whom did you go to see or work with to get your Study Abroad set up?

Courtney: I worked with Lisa Lange and Lacie Warren from the Center for Global Engagement. My advisor helped me get my internship set up and classes set up. The Department of Political Science and International Affairs is very flexible and very willing to help one with Study Abroad.

What classes did you take while in China for Study Abroad?

Courtney: I took “Chinese Foreign Policies”  and “Chinese Culture & Society” courses in English for credit, and audited advance level 1 Chinese (language) classes.  In addition, I completed some core courses online.

Outside of class, what kept you busy?

Courtney: I spent some time exploring the city and meeting new people. I tutored Chinese students in English, U. S. culture, and Studying Abroad in the United States. I tried to explain culture differences between the United States and China to Chinese students to prepare them for Study Abroad in the United States. Chinese students can feel isolated sometimes when Studying Abroad in the United States because of cultural differences.

What was the most surprising part of your Study Abroad experience?

Courtney: I wasn’t too surprised because my professors helped prepare me, I’ve been abroad before, and I have several friends who have Studied Abroad and we talked about the differences between the United States and China. I guess one thing that was surprising was China’s censorships. One doesn’t have access to the Internet like he does in the United States.

How did you develop your new friendships you made while you were in China? What pastime did you and friends participate in?

Courtney: Eating out is a big part of Chinese culture. When making new friends in China, one will typically eat out with them (especially because eating out is a lot cheaper in China).

Tell me about your goals and how this experience affected those goals

Courtney: My immediate goal is to go to graduate school and earn a graduate degree and potentially pursue another graduate degree. I would like to work in the State Department and maybe be a diplomat one day. Until then I hope to get to continue to further develop my language skills as well.

Studying Abroad in China really improved my practical language skills and solidified my desire to become a State Department employee. It helped me formulate a better cultural understanding of how China works, as well as an understanding of China bureaucracy and its effect on daily life in China for foreigners and Chinese individuals alike.

What advice or encouragement do you have for students interested in pursuing a Study Abroad opportunity?

Courtney: I think that students need to assess their goals and what they want out of a Study Abroad program when they apply. I recommend that one go away for a while two months is not enough and it’s just a glimpse. If one goes for a more extensive period of time, she starts to understand the country, the people, the cultural norms, and why things are the way they are.

Any other notes or advice?

Courtney: It is important to be open-minded. A lot of students arrive in foreign countries with high expectations that they got from movies. Or they have been studying a particular country for a while and think that they will love living there. An American student should be prepared for culture shock and having to appreciate that he won’t understand or agree with everything in different cultures.