Political Science & International Affairs Alumni at UNG

Nicholas Rosi, Admissions Coordinator in the Office of Cadet Admissions

Did you know that many Political Science & International Affairs alumni are employed at the University of North Georgia? We tracked down seven graduates to ask about their experiences as PSIA majors.

Nicholas Rosi is the admissions coordinator in the Office of Cadet Admissions. Rosi reports, “As a political-science major, I developed the skill of being able to talk to diverse groups of people and understand problems from their points of view. This has helped in my career in admissions where one meets new people every day, and everyone has a unique situation!”

Anna Brown, Special Events Coordinator of University Relations.

Anna Brown, special-events coordinator in University Relations reports, “Earning my M.P.A. (master of public administration) degree was the best decision I have made for my education and career goals. The M.P.A. degree prepared me to seek effective and efficient ways of handling all work tasks. I was able to help create new policies and procedures in every position I have held at UNG. I especially leaned on the principles and methods taught in this program to help me define and create my current role as director of university events. I have developed new policies and numerous procedures to provide the best service to our graduates and their families as they achieve their degrees and attend our commencement ceremonies. I am grateful for the opportunity to learn and earn my M.P.A.!”

Ben Jarred, Director of State Government Relations

Ben Jarrard, director of state-government relations reports, “Studying political science at the University of North Georgia spurred my interest in the political realm, and developed my initial understanding of public policy issues and the structures in which government operates. Due to my experience and knowledge gained as a student in the Political Science and International Affairs Department, I was able to jumpstart my career in various roles in the Georgia state legislature and Office of Governor Deal, and eventually become a government relations professional at UNG.”

Lauren Rizner, Academic Advisor for History, Political Science, International Affairs, and Open Option

Lauren Rizner, academic advisor for history, political-science, international-affairs, and open-option students reports, “My degree in international affairs at UNG equipped me both personally and professionally. My time spent both overseas and in the classroom allowed me to grasp a firm understanding of other nations while increasing my level of cross-cultural competency. As an academic advisor, I work with students of many backgrounds, helping guide their educational pathways and helping them see all that UNG has to offer. Advising international-affairs students is a major bonus, so far as I graduated from the curriculum myself only 3 years ago. The faculty members of the Political Science and International Affairs Department are supportive and knowledgeable and helped prepare me for my career in higher education. I highly recommend this program to anybody who is interested in learning about other nations in a very professional and encouraging environment!”

Wendi Huguley, Director, Alumni Relations & Annual Giving

Wendi Huguley, director of alumni relations and annual giving reports, “The classes I took as a political science major helped me understand that people often take positions that are born sincerely out of their own experiences and lenses, regardless of how ill-informed they may appear to be to me. This has helped me appreciate alternative points of view when dealing with people. As a former chamber of commerce executive for seven years, I found that good diplomacy was often critical when one deals with competing business interests, local and state government, etc.”

International Projects Coordinator for the Center for Global Engagement

Lacie Warren, international-projects coordinator for the Center of Global Engagement, helps cadets and civilian students study and intern abroad. Lacie reports, “Earning a degree in political science was the starting point for my career in an international field. The Political Science and International Affairs Department was supportive of me studying abroad in Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, and Canada. I was able to apply the skills and knowledge gained abroad to the classroom after I returned, and eventually in my current role after I graduated. I am presently pursuing my M.B.A. degree at UNG to combine cultural understanding, global competencies, and practical knowledge in an international business setting.”

Stephanie Hulsey, Coordinator of Online Student Success

Stephanie Hulsey, coordinator of online student success in the Distance Education and Technology Integration (DETI) center, completed her master of public administration degree at UNG. She reports that her graduate degree helped open many opportunities across the state. Hulsey also teaches POLS 1101, “American Government,” via eCore each semester.