Senior Business Majors Prepare for Graduation

Last semester, the Mike Cottrell College of Business saw 94 students graduate into the business world, an increase of 40% over the year prior. And while every graduation ceremony is important, this spring semester brings a great deal of excitement for students looking at their last semester of school and what’s to come next for their future.

We interviewed two seniors who are planning to graduate this spring about this final semester.

Lauren Mikles
Senior Marketing Major Lauren Mikles

Lauren Mikles, senior marketing student

What are you looking forward to during this your last semester?

There are several things I’m looking forward to this semester. First, I only have two classes needed to graduate, so I’ll have a little more time to relax, do homework, volunteer in the local community and look at opportunities for my career. I also plan on being more involved in the Cottrell Scholars and participating in their community outreach efforts. Last, but certainly not least, is that I’m looking forward to being a mentor for a high school student at Lumpkin County High this semester which is something I’ve always wanted to do.

What will you miss at UNG?

Honestly, I was shopping last week and realized that it would be my last time ever getting school supplies. It was really bitter sweet.

I will really miss being around people my age and the opportunity to make new friends so easily. I will also miss being a student, which means that a chapter of my life has now closed. No more sleeping in or hanging out on campus. Graduation is really bitter sweet but it’s been a long fulfilling journey that I’ll never forget. I know come graduation day that my family will be proud and all of the effort these past years will be worth it.

What are your plans after graduation?

I plan to hopefully start my career in real estate.

Senior Computer Science Major Jessica Thomas

Jessica Thomas, senior computer science student

What are you looking forward to during your last semester?

My senior project. I’m working on a project for school systems and I hope it will be a helpful tool and maybe even be implemented as a learning tool for students someday!

What will you miss at UNG?

I’ll miss the helpful and supportive professors I’ve had. I’ll also miss the sense of community on campus. It’s small, close to home for me, and there are so many student organizations that help you find your interests and passions. I’ve learned a great deal of valuable lessons along the way.

What are your plans after graduation?

I plan on going on to graduate school and finding my first programming job to kickstart my career.