Graduate Spotlight: Lt. Gen. James Terry (RET)

Retired Lt. Gen. James Terry poses on campus at the University of North Georgia

“North Georgia College was life changing for me,” said U.S. Army Lt. Gen. James Terry (RET). “The discipline that I learned in the Corps of Cadets and academic experience in the business school remain foundational to any success I achieved.”

Following his graduation from North Georgia College as a double major in management and marketing in 1978, Terry was commissioned to the infantry. During his prestigious military career, he commanded at multiple levels including commander of the Combined Joint Task Force, Operation Inherent Resolve – the U.S. military intervention against ISIL, commanding general of the U.S. Army Central, commander of the V Corps prior to its deactivation in 2013, commander of the International Security Assistance Force Joint Command, and deputy commander of the United States Forces Afghanistan.

Terry has received numerous awards, including the Meritorious Service Cross by the Governor General of Canada for his leadership of Regional Command South and his support of Canadian forces in Afghanistan. Most recently, Terry was named of the first 100 AACSB International Influential Leaders. ACCSB serves as the global accrediting body and membership association for business schools.

“The business school at North Georgia is where I learned the fundamentals of the business world and the U.S. Army is where I learned the fundamentals of war-fighting. I learned the art and science of leadership and management from both. Years later, I was able to assess and restructure large organizations around not only war-fighting but business functions.”

Terry is thankful for his experience at North Georgia: “North Georgia taught me how to think, not what to think. I also learned that every situation is different and requires adaptive solutions from critical, not cynical thinking.”