Alumni Spotlight: Karley Barcus

Within three years post-graduation, alumni Karley Barcus has landed a corporate job at American Greetings. The 2015 graduate is currently a Supply Chain Analyst at the American Greetings Headquarters in Cleveland, Ohio.

Barcus majored in Marketing at the Mike Cottrell College of Business and her favorite courses taken within the College were Leadership in Business and Marketing Management. “The Mike Cottrell College of Business offered several upper levels courses that were not just textbook driven. They were structured in a way where the learning was very hands on and applicable to real business situations. As a result of those courses, exceptional professors, and my extracurricular activities, I was able to graduate with a solid foundation that I have been able to build on over the past three years,” stated Barcus.

When asked what she would do differently if she could go back to school Karley responded with, “Overall, I had an amazing college experience and I am extremely grateful. The one thing I may have done differently is take a public speaking class or participate in Toast Masters.” She revealed that many business professionals believe students should continually be developing their interpersonal and speaking skills. Programs like the College’s new PROS professional development program help students do just that.

“The Mike Cottrell College of Business at UNG has great resources and is willing to help their students in any way that they can in order to prepare them for their first job.”

During her time at UNG, Karley served in a number of different leadership positions and as a marketing intern in the Mike Cottrell College of Business. Those experiences have helped her move up rapidly at American Greetings, recently moving from Asheville, NC to Cleveland, OH.

Regarding the Mike Cottrell College of Business, Karley believes in what the College has done over the past few years and is impressed by the College’s growth.

“Since 2015, I have seen the College grow in several ways. An increase in the College’s social media presence – the PROS professional development program – increases in student internships and enrollment – growth in the Cottrell Speaker Series,” said Barcus. “It’s very exciting to see your alma mater succeed. As the College continues to succeed and become more known nationally, the value of my degree increases.”

Help us continue to build strong graduates like Karley by using the links below to give financially or to become a volunteer.

Donation Form

Volunteer Application