Jim Hammond Announces His Retirement

A Letter from GTA Artistic/Managing Director Jim Hammond

Jasper Sams and Jim Hammond in GTA’s 2010 production of Eurydice

Dear Friends of GTA,

Exactly 30 years ago, I returned to Gainesville to interview as a candidate for Artistic and Managing Director of the Gainesville Theatre Alliance. The offer of that job has been one of the greatest gifts I’ve received in my life. As a former student of Ed Cabell, it has been my honor to carry the vision of this extraordinary collaboration between the University of North Georgia, Brenau University and the northeast Georgia community. As I told my students, I didn’t become a teacher just to teach, but to continue as a student at their side striving to learn and grow. After 30 years, it is time for this student to graduate and move into the next chapter of my life.

Jim Hammond in GTA’s 2016 production of Dracula

I assure you that I’m not disappearing. I will be sitting next to you in the audience rather than giving the curtain speech. I am so proud of what we have all accomplished together and look forward to witnessing the great work ahead. Both Brenau and UNG are committed to finding the leadership that will continue to lift the Gainesville Theatre Alliance to new heights.

Please accept my deepest gratitude for the love and support you have given to our work through the years. The stories we told on our stages have shaped lives and helped to launch hundreds of careers. This will forever be my artistic home.

See you at the theatre,

Jim Hammond
Artistic and Managing Director

Jim Hammond in 2012’s The Grapes of Wrath