Finals Week Survival Tips

Finals week is approaching. Freshman are taking all their notes, and seniors are prepping for the last exams and presentations they ever have to do. It’s a stressful time, and I don’t know about you, but I don’t always stress well. I know many students can relate. We try to avoid our stress and sweep it under the rug. We tell everyone, “It’s fine, I’m prepared,” but we are dying inside. Let’s make finals week a little brighter this year! Read on for some tips to help us get through.

Make a To-Do List

Make a list and write down everything. Making a list can help reduce stress. It puts things in perspective. The best way to get things organized is to write down everything you need to do—studying, doing laundry, groceries, getting some sleep, etc. It’s simple but makes all the difference. Trust me, you will feel a sense of accomplishment when you start checking things off.

Daily Agendas

Set aside time in your day to concentrate on each subject that needs to be done. It is crucial to set aside the correct amount of time for studying. You can do this on the super cute agenda you got from Target or on your phone!

Avoid Stressful People

Stress is contagious. While we are approaching finals week, fight the urge to have a study session with your tense friend, especially if they are complaining about all the work they have to do. If you’re in a tense environment at home, go to the library, park, or anywhere where you can relax and focus. I know you might feel the need to study with friends but let’s be honest, you might end up talking the whole time and get very little studying done (been there, done that!).

Take Care of Your Body

Eating healthy seems simple enough, but many people forget it. Skip the sugar and go for snacks like fruits, veggies, and granola bars. If you’re studying for an extended period, eat some protein too. Sugary food won’t do you any good. Making sure you are eating foods that are good for your body and soul. I’m not saying don’t treat yourself every so often, but don’t rely on the sweets for your energy. Also, take a walk outside and get some fresh air and clear your head.

Take Breaks

For every hour that you work, take a 10 or 15-minute break. Let yourself do whatever you want. This gives your brain some rest and will help keep you be more focused. Watch some TV, color, or call a friend! My personal favorite is a dance party. I play all my favorite music and dance out the stress! (I recommend Taylor Swift’s new album!!)

Visualize

Imagine yourself taking the test or presenting your project and feeling confident that you know everything you have to know. Picture getting all of the answers correct, and focus on how relaxed you feel. When you have good thoughts, only good can come from it. Being negative and doubting yourself will only make it worse. It’s time to get yourself into confidence mode. Do whatever works to convince yourself you are going to do well. Get there mentally and keep yourself there!

You’ve prepared as much as you could, and now it’s time to kill it! May is around the corner, and that means summer. If you need any help, reach out to a professor or a fellow student. You got this, GTA!