Student-Athlete Spotlight: Tobin Sanctuary

Tobin Sanctuary, Junior management major, is one of many well-rounded student-athletes on campus. Tobin chose to study management because he believes effective management is a skill that can be used in any career path he takes. Tobin believes the skills he is learning from this major will not only make him a successful business leader, but also an effective member of society.

Tobin is a part of the Rifle team at the University of North Georgia. Tobin’s favorite part of being a student-athlete is having a second family in athletics. He added, “There are so many amazing coaches and athletes that support one another, and I like being a part of that.” Tobin was named the 2016-17 Peach Belt Conference Presidential Honor Roll Gold Scholar, 2018 All-SoCon Smallbore First Team, 2018 CRCA Scholastic All-American and several others.

Being a full-time student and athlete is challenging. More time put into training, workouts, and travel means less time for studying and social events. When asked how Tobin succeeds academically while being an athlete, he said “I make planning out my day a priority. By planning, I know I have time for activities other than my responsibilities for the Rifle team and class.” Tobin credits the athletic department for his academic success. He said, “The athletic faculty makes sure all athletes get the academic attention they need. They accommodate our busy schedules so that we may succeed on and off the playing fields.”

Tobin has made the most of his time at the Mike Cottrell College of Business. He is a member of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, a member of the Cottrell Scholars, and a volunteer for the youth program at Dahlonega Baptist Church. Tobin wanted to be as involved on campus as he could be. When asked why he views involvement so important, he responded, “In one of the speaker series that PROS held, the speaker emphasized the importance of getting involved with different college groups. This helped me realize that the skills I have learned in the classroom can be fostered and practiced through involvement with athletics and representing the University of North Georgia.”

Tobin hopes to one day use his business management degree to manage. Technology or service-based company. In addition to his professional goal, Tobin also hopes to continue his volunteering in the community and at local churches. Any spare moment Tobin has, he enjoys giving back in volunteer work. “Despite having a busy life of a student-athlete, I always try to make time to do something worthwhile.”