Evie Somogyi

My Time at UNG

by Evie Somogyi, marketing intern and senior marketing student, Mike Cottrell College of Business

As graduation is merely hours away, I find myself reminiscing about my time at the Mike Cottrell College of Business. The entire experience seemed to rush by, especially my last semester.

During my last semester, I had the opportunity to work at the college of business as a marketing intern. Even though it was crazy-busy, and even stressful at times, I am so grateful for the experience.

As a marketing intern, my supervisor and mentor was our Marketing Manager, Nick Kastner. Because he is so knowledgeable in the field of marketing, especially digital marketing, I was able to learn a lot.

The best part about this internship was that every day was a new adventure. The semester was jam-packed with several different projects — even an AACSB visit. I never found myself repeating the same task; instead, I got to test my abilities in several different areas of marketing.

I feel like my internship really tied together all of the concepts that I learned in class, but then took it a step further. I had the chance to dabble in graphic design, video creation, video editing, content creation, and even help with developing a marketing campaign.

During my time as a marketing student, I had amazing professors that introduced me to many thought-provoking concepts in the field of marketing. I will use the concepts that I learned in Digital Marketing, Personal Selling, Consumer Behavior, Marketing Management, and my Entrepreneurship courses to help me grow my own business (Simply Affinity, www.etsy.com/shop/simplyaffinity).

If I could start college over again, I know I would get more involved early on. I would have done a semester abroad, and I would have applied for my internship at the college of business in the fall semester. This way, I could have learned even more.

However, it’s not productive to focus on the what-ifs. Instead, I look forward to the future with a sense of accomplishment and hope. Everything that I learned throughout my internship, and my time at MCCB, will supplement my future endeavors

While I am not going to miss the stress of college, I know I am going to miss college. There is something truly special about the University of North Georgia, and the Mike Cottrell College of Business, that cannot be found at any other university.