Evie Somogyi

My Time at UNG

by Evie Somogyi, marketing intern and senior marketing student, Mike Cottrell College of Business

As graduation is merely hours away, I find myself reminiscing about my time at the Mike Cottrell College of Business. The entire experience seemed to rush by, especially my last semester.

During my last semester, I had the opportunity to work at the college of business as a marketing intern. Even though it was crazy-busy, and even stressful at times, I am so grateful for the experience.

As a marketing intern, my supervisor and mentor was our Marketing Manager, Nick Kastner. Because he is so knowledgeable in the field of marketing, especially digital marketing, I was able to learn a lot.

The best part about this internship was that every day was a new adventure. The semester was jam-packed with several different projects — even an AACSB visit. I never found myself repeating the same task; instead, I got to test my abilities in several different areas of marketing.

I feel like my internship really tied together all of the concepts that I learned in class, but then took it a step further. I had the chance to dabble in graphic design, video creation, video editing, content creation, and even help with developing a marketing campaign.

During my time as a marketing student, I had amazing professors that introduced me to many thought-provoking concepts in the field of marketing. I will use the concepts that I learned in Digital Marketing, Personal Selling, Consumer Behavior, Marketing Management, and my Entrepreneurship courses to help me grow my own business (Simply Affinity, www.etsy.com/shop/simplyaffinity).

If I could start college over again, I know I would get more involved early on. I would have done a semester abroad, and I would have applied for my internship at the college of business in the fall semester. This way, I could have learned even more.

However, it’s not productive to focus on the what-ifs. Instead, I look forward to the future with a sense of accomplishment and hope. Everything that I learned throughout my internship, and my time at MCCB, will supplement my future endeavors

While I am not going to miss the stress of college, I know I am going to miss college. There is something truly special about the University of North Georgia, and the Mike Cottrell College of Business, that cannot be found at any other university.

Published by

Nick Kastner

The Mike Cottrell College of Business at UNG builds strong graduates and strong communities.