Internship Spotlight: Ya Daba Njie, Global Systems Integration

The Mike Cottrell College of Business is one of the few schools in Georgia that offers a digital marketing concentration – an exciting option for students interested in the fields of digital and interactive marketing, video or social media. The College also works to provide exciting internship opportunities for students in their field of study. Ya Daba Njie is one of these amazing student interns pursuing digital marketing.

Ya Daba is a senior Marketing major and a recent intern at Global Systems Integration in digital marketing. Global Systems Integration specializes in providing a comprehensive spectrum of business, functional, and technical consulting services for a number of enterprise applications. In her summer internship, Ya Daba assisted with social media, public relations, website formats, email responses, and special projects. Ya Daba set up weekly educational webcasts for one of her company’s enterprise applications as well as tracked and reported campaigns, emails, newsletters, events, website, advertisements, and webinars.

Ya Daba credits her Digital Marketing, Consumer Behavior and Marketing Management courses for preparing her with knowledge for her internship. Ya Daba added, “These three courses gave me extensive knowledge on Business-to-Business Marketing. I am always able to offer my idea for a solution to a problem when asked.” Ya Daba also stated that her internship is helping her in her Strategic Management course. “I am able to contribute to discussion questions by providing quality examples from experience in my internship.”

Ya Daba began searching for a job opportunity on LinkedIn, but quickly realized most positions required prior experience. That is when she decided to search for an internship that would provide her with the experience she needed. When asked how she found out about the internship, Ya Daba replied, “I saw the GSI Internship position posted by Elaine Fitzpatrick on the D2L Internship Page. After reading about this position, I knew it was an opportunity I did not want to pass up.”

Since there are a number of students seeking a position after graduation, Ya Daba was worried that she would not stand out. Now that she has gained some experience, Ya Daba gave this advice, “The easiest way to set yourself apart from other college graduates is to gain valuable experience in the field of study you wish to pursue. An internship gave me this opportunity.”

During her time at UNG, Ya Daba has been a member of Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society, the Chinese Club, and National Society. After Ya Daba graduates in December of 2018, she hopes to continue working for Global Systems Integration as a full-time employee. Her dream position is to one day work at Nike’s Headquarters in Oregon.