Internship Spotlight: Joshua Waisler, Dahlonega-Lumpkin County Chamber of Commerce

The Mike Cottrell College of Business builds strong gradates by providing both practical and technical skills. One way this is accomplished is by providing opportunities for students to intern with organizations to gain practical and real-world experience. Obtaining an internship gives students the opportunity to apply knowledge learned in the classroom to provide solutions in an organization.

Joshua Waisler, a senior marketing major, is currently at the Dahlonega-Lumpkin County Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau as a marketing intern. In his summer internship, Joshua is assisting in promotions and marketing for various events, sending notices to relevant publications, and analyzing the effectiveness of different marketing methods the Chamber of Commerce uses. Joshua is hopeful that his responsibilities include social media content creation and management as he progresses through the internship. He is currently working on two big projects: The 6 Gap Century Bike Race and a new, undisclosed campaign. When asked about the new campaign, Joshua expressed, “I am anxious to begin and implement my ideas for the new campaign. I am hopeful that the campaign will continue after I have completed my internship.”

Joshua attributes the PROS professional development program for giving him the inspiration to peruse an internship. Through the PROS program, Joshua has developed interpersonal and job-preparedness skills that helped him land his internship at the Chamber. Joshua is practicing his skills in communication as well as technical skills in business software while working on tasks such as mass emailing internal and external contacts. Joshua jokingly exclaimed, “I also am taking summer courses while interning, so I guess I will need to finetune my time management skills.”

When asked what advice he would give to other students seeking internships, Joshua gives a quote his father has always told him. The quote goes, “If you don’t ask, you don’t get.” Joshua advises students to put themselves out there, ask and apply to any internship that sparks their interest. In addition, Joshua advised students always to be honest, “During my interview for the internship, I admitted to the unfamiliarity I had with certain programs, but also my eagerness to learn.”

After Joshua graduates in the spring of 2019, he is interested in going to Officer Candidate School to join the Army, Navy, or Marine Corps. Before transferring from another University to UNG, Joshua was heavily involved in the Army ROTC program. Joshua added, “If my career leads into a non-Army related position, I will still join the Reserves.” He is unsure if he will be accepted into Officer Candidate School; however, Joshua ended with, “If I don’t ask, I won’t get.”