Internship Spotlight: Jonathan Murphy

by Sam Young, marketing intern & junior marketing major, Mike Cottrell College of Business

Senior computer science major Jonathan Murphy wanted to learn more about the business world and we asked him just how he is doing that.

What made you interested in doing this internship?

I knew that I wanted to gain experience before I went out to the business world. I went to the career fairs and career services to examine the different avenues I could go to. From there I began networking and applying to different places. One that stood out was First Data. First Data is a huge company that has many different outlets for different fields of study right out of college like business, marketing, IT, and finance.

How did you get your internship?

I applied through Career Builder, a job search website that showed there were some positions that I was interested in applying for. I also knew someone that works for the company and worked with them to see how I could get hired on. From there, I applied, went through the interview process, and got the job.

What is your role?

I am an intern for the Risk Management portion of Network Security and Solutions.

What skills have you learned in your classes that could be applied to your internship?

I haven’t really been using a lot of my skills from my major classes. I’m not coding or doing much related to computer science. The basic management and finance classes have helped me throughout my time at First Data. I also use a lot of my soft skills that I learned by being a leader in multiple organizations on campus.

What skills have you learned in the position and how could you work on them for the future?

I’ve learned many things about the business world today and finance because of what First Data does. All I can do for the future is keep being a sponge and learning everything I can to be well rounded and more marketable for when I start applying for an actual job. It is important that you try and gain as much experience as possible and by doing this you will have a myriad of skills that will help you in your future business endeavors.

Could you see yourself in this position in the future?

I have found that risk management may not be the job for me. However, working at First Data has shown me the type of company I want to work for. I’m hopeful that I will be able to pursue a position here once my internship ends.

What tips do you have for other students looking to get an internship?

Use every resource you can think of. Use Career Services because it’s there for a reason. Network with people and find out what they do. If you have family friends, talk to them and tell them what you are looking for. Getting the internship is the hardest part, but its well worth the experience.