Internship Spotlight: Abra Foland-Oates

Over the past few years, tourism has driven significant business growth in the state of Georgia. Events and tourism support more than 450,200 jobs in the state of Georgia alone. Over the past few months, senior marketing student Abra Foland-Oates has worked as an intern with 6140 Events to see if event planning and tourism might be the direction for her future career.

6140 Events, based in Cumming, GA, plans a wide variety of events including weddings, bar mitzvahs and corporate events, among others. Foland-Oates’ role includes performing various marketing duties such as managing the company’s social media accounts and taking and editing pictures.

“The atmosphere is very easy-going,” Foland-Oates said. “I’ve learned a lot because I’m always on my toes and my role changes daily.”

Foland-Oates landed the internship with help from Elaine Fitzpatrick, internship coordinator for the Mike Cottrell College of Business, and is their first-ever intern.

“I would recommend anyone thinking about doing an internship to reach out to Ms. Fitzpatrick,” Foland-Oates said. “She’s great and helped me find my current position which counts for class credit.”

Foland-Oates is able to apply what she’s currently learning in her Marketing Management course to the company. She has helped them develop a mission statement and to think about their vision and values. Her semester-long project in the class is to create a marketing plan for 6140 Events.

“Sometimes the theory in the classroom is difficult to apply in a part-time job,” Foland-Oates said. “But, everything I’m learning in Marketing Management can be applied to my internship right now.”

The company is also starting to develop a customer relationship management system which will help them keep track of customers and inquiries throughout 2018. This internship has been a great learning experience and she feels that it has given her invaluable experience which will benefit her post-graduation.

“I think whether it’s a small business or a bigger one, you learn a lot of things through an internship that you don’t learn in a classroom,” Foland-Oates said. “It helps students decide what they may want to do with their careers after graduating.”