Internship Spotlight: Abby Hood

The Mike Cottrell College of Business offers a variety of resources to help prepare students not only for internships, but for their professional careers. By getting involved in clubs and attending speaker series students can gain the skills necessary to land that dream internship.

Abby Hood is a senior marketing student at UNG and holds the position of Global Channels intern at Focus Brands Inc. The Atlanta based company is comprised of several food and beverage companies including: Moe’s Southwest Grill, Cinnabon, Auntie Anne’s, Carvel, McAllister’s Deli, and Schlotzky’s.

Abby’s duties consist of completing competitive assessments within Focus Brands’ market, conducting focus groups, collecting insights from marketing research and presenting it to marketing directors at various companies within Focus Brands Inc. She also participates in sales pitches for market expansion, assists creative teams with social media campaigns, provides input for new products, and participates in franchisee advisory council meetings for companies within Focus Brands Inc.

Abby gained the skills necessary to obtain this internship through joining the American Marketing Association (AMA) in her sophomore year, ““I grew a great deal while holding the role of VP of Communications because AMA gave me the opportunity to develop my leadership skills along with guest speaker events and workshops which really shaped my professional abilities.”

In addition, Abby contributes her internship opportunity to AMA’s faculty sponsor and marketing lecturer, Mary Norman. “She continued to build my confidence by helping me prep for my interview, and I can honestly say I don’t know if I would’ve scored my dream internship without her inspiration and encouragement,” said Abby.

When asked what advice she could give to students seeking an internship she stated that attending speaker events on campus, such as Confidence UNG, along with just putting yourself out there and applying for those job postings online. “The decision to put myself out there could not have been more beneficial because the day of my interview I voiced my desire to be an intern at Focus Brands Inc. and was immediately told I would be a great fit as the Global Channel’s intern reporting to Kat Cole (COO and President of North America for Focus Brands),” declared Abby. Abby revealed that she is very excited for the opportunity to learn from Kat Cole during her internship experience and considers Kat an inspiration to businesswomen everywhere.

When asked about her plans after graduation, Abby stated that she wanted to continue in the food and beverage industry because of its global impact and constant innovation. In addition, Abby desires to travel more and learn about other cultures, “Hopefully Italy is next on the list,” declared Abby.