First Student to Complete the PROS Program

Across the country, interest has grown in business schools doing more to prepare their students for their careers, particularly in the areas of communications, networking and professional development. Through the College’s research, and demand from our regional communities, the Mike Cottrell College of Business developed the PROS professional development program. This program beginning in a student’s sophomore year, provides business graduates tools to succeed after graduation.

Martie Rogers, a senior management major, is the first student in the Mike Cottrell College of Business to complete the Personal Roadmap to Ongoing Success (PROS) professional development program.

“I think it is important for students to complete PROS because it enables them to gain professional experience that comes from a place other than a classroom,” Rogers said.

“I enjoyed the process,” Rogers said. “I learned many different things: what to do in an interview, how to write a resume and how to be professional.”

A memorable experience for Rogers was completing her mock interview with Mike Kosiba, retired employee of Bristol-Myers Squibb and UNG alumnus, as he gave her valuable tips and techniques for effective interviewing.

“He taught be how to direct my responses and reinforced how to use the STAR method,” Rogers said.

Rogers transferred to the University of North Georgia (UNG) at the beginning of her junior year after playing collegiate softball at two other schools. As a resident of Dahlonega, she decided to return home to Dahlonega and finish her degree at UNG.

“I’m glad I came back,” Rogers said. “It’s one of the best business schools I could have chosen.”

Students participating in this program complete several different professional development activities including attending Explore Your Career Path seminars and Cottrell Speaker Series events, completing social media and personal branding workshops, service activities, and a career goals and outline plan, among others. In their senior year, students complete job search training, an ethical leadership workshop, professional pitch video and exit interview.

“The number one thing I got out of PROS was to use events for your benefit and to network,” Rogers said. “Networking is crucial to having a successful career.”

Programs like PROS are developed and maintained using both state funding and funding provided by our donors and partners. Help us to continue growing strong graduates and strong communities by donating or volunteering with our PROS professional development program.