Faculty Spotlight: Ash Mady

The Mike Cottrell College of Business prides itself in having exceptional faculty, staff and students and is always looking for ways to innovate and expand major concentrations.

Department head for computer science & information systems, Ash Mady, is a faculty member who has been leading the charge in a variety of new initiatives including efforts in cyber and information security. Students can now minor in cybersecurity, but a new concentration in cybersecurity is scheduled to be available in Fall 2018.

“The impact of information security has been shown,” Mady said. “This is the right time to address those employment gaps by providing a degree to train students to fill those positions and to build awareness and exposure.”

Mady graduated with a computer science degree from the University of North Georgia (UNG) in 1999 and began working for UNG after graduation. He worked for the IT department for 16 years before leaving for a few years to work in the industry, in particular, at Red Hat.

“I always loved teaching when I worked for IT part-time and found that I loved working with students,” Mady said. “I knew I’d love teaching, but I never thought of it as a full-time career.”

Mady returned to UNG in 2015 as a department head and found the transition “happened at the right time,” Mady said.

He teaches a variety of courses including Application Development (CIS 3000), Systems Analysis and Design (CIS 3300) and Mobile Application Development (CSCI 3660), among others. He enjoys every class that he teaches.

“I love them all,” Mady said, “In some courses I get to teach on the human side, which can be a deficit in our engineering background. I also love the programming and engineering classes because they keep me connected. I love both angles of the different classes.”

Among other academic endeavors, Mady is about to finish his doctorate in business administration with a research focus in information security. His research includes two angles: the technical engineering security angle and the human angle.

In his free time, Mady enjoys playing tennis with his wife and spending time with his children doing outdoor activities.

He is thankful to be a part of the UNG community and loves to be “surrounded by people who are good at what they do,” Mady said.

“It’s refreshing how good this environment is,” Mady said. “We typically talk about what is missing and we don’t talk enough about the good things. There are so many good people around me.”

He remembers a time as an undergraduate student when his car broke down in the parking lot after class and several people came to help him. Eventually, there were over twenty people hanging out around his car meeting each other and talking. He knew then that UNG was a unique place with great people.

“It still means something to me today,” Mady said. “Despite the growth, the culture and quality of people is still the same. Everyone is so welcoming and supportive.”