Business Faculty Summer Reading List

Library of business books

By Kate Toburen, marketing intern and senior marketing student, Mike Cottrell College of Business

Library of business booksWe know a lot of you are working or taking summer classes, but we wanted to let you know that our business school faculty are working hard this summer too. When they aren’t completing research, teaching classes or preparing for the next school year, our faculty are striving to enhance their knowledge in their field of study. Here at the Mike Cottrell College of Business, our faculty and staff go above and beyond their job descriptions to offer relevant education to the business students so they can have the best opportunities in their future careers.

So what are our faculty reading this summer to prepare for the fall?

Dr. Anne Duke, Interim Associate Dean of Faculty and Graduate Programs

Enough by John Bogle

“I read everything by John Bogle and have followed his precepts for about 20 years. Also, the idea of finding satisfaction (enough), rather than seeking more is appealing to me. According to the Amazon review this book “examines what it truly means to have ‘enough’ in a world increasingly focused on status and score-keeping.”

Dr. Yongseung Han (Stanley Han), Associate Professor, Economics

Money: Free and Unfree:  by George Selgin

“Selgin had a major role in teaching me about general concepts in banking and finances, so I continue to read his books for further insight. This book in particular describes the “free banking system” as an alternative to our current banking system, and provides insight on why our current banking system is so unstable. There’s many key fundamental processes in finance that people do not consider worth their time, but there are many rewarding intuitions you can glean from this author that apply to everyday life.”

Nick Kastner, Marketing Manager & Adjunct Instructor, Marketing

Empire’s End: Aftermath by Chuck Wendig

“While not related at all to my job, I haven’t finished the Star Wars Aftermath series yet so I’m trying to wrap it up before Episode VIII comes out.”

Friction: Passion Brands in the Age of Disruption by Rosenblum and Berg

“Beyond teaching students how to create passion brands, I would love to see our Mike Cottrell College of Business break the mold of traditional advertising and empower our customers (students, alumni, business partners) to really become evangelists for us. I’m hoping I learn a few tricks of the trade from the case studies in this book.”

Dr. Mohan Menon, Department Head of Management & Marketing

Everybody Lies: Big Data. New Data. And What the Internet Can Tell Us About Who We Really Are:  by Seth Stephens-Davidowitz

“Since I am researching and teaching in Consumer Behavior, I’m always interested in the consumer thought process. Through examining big data, a marketer possesses the ability to peer into the workings of the inner psyche of the consumer along with posing their own questions about their own consuming behavior. The author provides tons of relevant, everyday examples in a fascinating way making it an exciting read.”

Rose Procter, director, BB&T Center for Ethical Leadership

Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy: by Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant

“As I look to innovation in the classroom around strengthening leadership and decision-making skills of our students, resilience is a characteristic I am getting a lot of feedback on from our business community. I am looking to review relevant and current issues around resilience and start incorporating it into the Leadership in Business courses targeted traits.”

The (Honest) Truth about Dishonesty: by Dan Ariely

“First, I agree with Dan Ariely and his take on things – secondly, reading more about the behavioral science behind our ethics can assist me in teaching Business Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility, as well as coaching the UNG Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl Team.”

Mike Ryan, Department Head of Economics & Finance

Nudge: Improving Decisions about Health, Wealth, and Happiness: by Thaler and Sunstein  

“I am actually re-reading this book because it offers interesting applications of behavioral economics.  As an instructor, I value the manner in which the authors present alternatives to the classical economic expectation that individuals behave rationally.  The contrast between how individuals are expected to behave and how they actually behave provides interesting content to discuss with my students on campus and in my online classes.  In addition, the concept of choice architecture is central to retirement planning, which interests me for research purposes.”